I wake up on a quiet Sunday morning with nowhere in particular to be. It’s a perfect, sunny day. The first hints of fall are in the air, and we’ve turned the air conditioning off and slept with the windows open for the first time in months. I laze around for a while, halfway between sleeping and waking. Finally, I’m up, but it’s still not time to get out of bed. I reach for my book and start reading, with the sunlight coming in, and the cool breeze drifting past me. Life is just about perfect.
From time to time, I am struck by the power of simple moments like this, when everything in life seems good and calm. There are a lot of things that money can buy, but moments of simple peace and happiness aren’t among them.
Today, I thought I’d help us all put things into perspective (myself included!) and remember some of the simple things in life that can bring the most joy.
My favorite simple pleasures
- Driving alone on open roads with the windows down, music blasting, and no one to judge your awful singing voice.
- Greeting the dog when you come home. Dogs are just always so darn happy to see you!
- Snuggling. Enough said.
- Reading a great book. Doing so outside is even better.
- Not having to set an alarm.
- Taking a walk with a friend and catching up on all the things.
- Finding a new recipe that you can’t wait to try.
- Cooking that new recipe and finding out that it is a keeper.
- Listening to the radio and getting SO excited when the song you love comes on. And then, when it ends, you change stations and the song is on another station! Double win!
- Seeing puppies when you’re walking down the street. I can’t not smile when I see a puppy.
- Stepping on the scale and seeing numbers that aren’t quite as bad as you thought they might be.
- Finding out that the thing you’re about to buy is not only perfect but also on sale.
- Getting a parking spot right away at the grocery store. Same goes for finding a street parking spot when you thought you’d have to park in a garage and pay a ton to do so.
- Getting to the train station at the exact moment that your train arrives. No waiting!
- Opening your podcasts to find that a new episode of your favorite podcast is available (Limetown, I’m talking about you. Where are you, new episodes?!)
- Waiting in line next to an adorable baby who makes eyes at you and is playful and just makes you smile.
- Finding some shared history or connection with a new acquaintance and instantly becoming closer.
- Attending an event or a meeting and finding out that there is unexpected free food. Why does food always taste better when it’s free?
What are your favorite simple pleasures?